Thursday, January 26, 2012

Baked Kale Chips

I told you in my post yesterday that I would one day soon make the kale chips.... well, today is the day! I was looking for an afternoon snack, as i opened the refrigerator door, the kale jumped out at me. I figured I might as well give it a try...
I followed the same recipe that I posted yesterday.
 This is the kale I used... not sure of the exact name, but the stalks and leaves were smaller than the other option of kale at my store. Peel the leaves off of the thick stalks, and remove any large veins running through the leaves. 
 Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and toss so that all the leaves are coated. Be careful with the olive oil, I think if you were to put too much, the leaves would come out of the oven limp and not crunchy. And well, that would not be as tasty!
 I just used a toaster oven to do this, I didn't not make a whole batch, just a couple stalks so figured this would work fine, and it did! Cook in a preheated oven at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. 
 And here is the finished product! The color is still a beautiful bright green.
 I had heard before that the chips alone are not the best, and to eat with hummus. But i loved the taste on their own! It was also great with the hummus, but if i didn't have any on hand one day, i wouldn't be heartbroken. 
Honestly i didn't know they would turn out so crunchy! They actually do give a nice crunch, just like a potato chip. I was very pleased with this recipe and will definitely be making it again soon. 

Don't be afraid like i was... I was unsure about this recipe when i first heard about it, up until the moment i tasted it. But honestly, give it a try, you may be just as surprised as i was!! 

heidilauren


No comments:

Post a Comment